Mrs. Mildred Lane Terry, a native of Nashville, Tennessee, and a 1939 graduate of Tennessee University with a B.S. in Elementary Education, began work in Columbus in 1941. Under the supervision of Dr. Paul Monroe and Miss Loretta Chappel, she became the first trained librarian at Spencer High School. The Spencer High Library was set up and approved by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools that year. Mrs. Terry went on to receive a B.S. in Library Science in 1949 from Atlanta University (School of Library) and did post graduate work at Fisk University, American University, and Columbus College. She remained at Spencer until 1946.
In January of 1952, Mrs. Terry returned to the Muscogee County School District as librarian of the new opened Fourth Avenue Library where she served until her retirement in December 1980.
Mrs. Terry believes that books are the tools to communicate ideas and that these tools must be handled with care and pride since ideas and concepts are precious to all mankind. She also believes that reading is for not only a privileged few, but for all people. Her contributions to Columbus and the children of Muscogee County are not for just today but will grow and prosper throughout the years and effects will be seen in generations to come.
Not only has Mrs. Terry been an inspiration in the Fourth Avenue Library, but throughout the entire community. She has received such awards as the Community Service Award, Outstanding Woman of Savannah Diocese, Red Cross Commendation for Work with Vietnamese children, Army Commendation for work with Vietnamese children, and Girl Scout recognition as the first senior leader at Spencer High School.
From original renaming ceremony- Wednesday, January 28, 1981 at 3:00 p.m.