July 26, 2018
The Chattahoochee Valley Libraries are pleased to once again join with National History Day Georgia as a Research Round-up site for 2018-19’s National History Day contest! This means that students can now take full advantage of our printed and electronic resources to help with their research on this year’s theme – Triumph and Tragedy in History.
Our research librarians will help you identify quality Primary and Secondary sources in our collection that may be related to your project. After you provide us your topic, we’ll go through our printed and electronic materials to find books, articles, newspapers, and other media on your chosen subject. We’ll then meet with you to show you what we found and how it may be used in your paper, website, documentary, exhibit or performance!
1. You or your parents should call the Columbus Public Library Adult Services Desk at 706.243.2701 and mention that you’d like to participate in the National History Day Research Round-up!
2. The desk will take some basic information from you or your parents –name, e-mail, phone number, grade, your topic and your preferred library branch (you can find your closest branch here). They will then forward the information to your preferred branch to begin the research process.
3. You should then e-mail your topic and a bibliography of any research you have done so far to Henry McCoy at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will forward it to the librarian in charge of your project.
4. Your preferred branch will then call you to set up a research appointment – this will normally be 7-10 days after your first call. When you arrive for your appointment we’ll show you some of the resources that we found in our collection and also give you some tips on furthering your research.
1. ANYONE can come to our libraries and use our resources while they visit. You do not need a library card for this.
2. Students living in our service area of Muscogee, Marion, Cusseta-Chattahoochee and Stewart Counties may check out:
· printed and electronic materials with their Chattahoochee Valley Libraries card (your best bet for full access).
· electronic materials only (including home access to our electronic research databases like GALILEO) with either their Library Card or with their CLUE account.
3. Students not in our service area can check out materials with the purchase of an Out-of-Area Library Card ($35 per year, purchase at your local branch of the Chattahoochee Valley Libraries).