GLASS: Georgia Library for Accessible Statewide Services
Are you a child or adult who can’t read materials printed by conventional methods? If so, you may qualify for a free national library program that offers books and magazines in audio format and in Braille.
These materials are provided by the Library of Congress, National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped (NLS),to eligible persons with a visual or physical disability. All reading material and playback equipment is sent to borrowers and returned by postage-free mail.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE SERVICE?
- Anyone who is unable to read or handle standard printed materials as a result of temporary or permanent visual or physical disability.
- Persons who are legally blind or cannot see well enough or focus long enough to read standard print, even with glasses.
- Persons who are unable to hold or turn pages of print books.
- Persons who are certified by a medical doctor as having a reading disability.
Application for Service (PDF)
WHAT IS AVAILABLE?
Search the Catalog for Books
Search the Catalog for Magazines
Search the Catalog for Music
- BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download):Once you have been accepted as a talking book patron, you can download books and magazines directly to your computer from the NLS BARD website and store them on a flash drive that will play in your digital book machine. Access to the BARD website is restricted to eligible readers. You will need a login ID and password. If you do not have them, review the criteria for participation in the BARD Application Instructions on the BARD website and request an account if you qualify.The link to BARD is https://nlsbard.loc.govTutorial videos: How to Download from BARD BARD “How-To” Series, provided by The Library of Congress
Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services (GLASS)
1800 Century Place
Atlanta, GA 30345-4304
Phone: 800.248.6701 (Toll-free)
Directions & Map
Email GLASS at firstname.lastname@example.org